I feel like Peppermint Patty from Peanuts would really like a good bundt cake. Now, I don’t know the girl, but she seems like the type who would appreciate both the gesture and the taste of a home-made cake. Bundts tend to get an odd rap — many of the recipes using bundt pans are based entirely around box mixes and puddings. Perhaps their molded cake pans lend themselves to interpretations of baking left over from the “easy as 1-2-3” methods of cooking.
I just love them, personally. So much that I’ve joined a Bundt Bakers club, which will feature a themed bundt every single month.
Peppermint Patty Bundt Cake
Adapted from Joy the Baker’s Chocolate Bundt
- 1 and 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 and 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk (from a large egg)
- 1 and 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 5 ounce box Haviland thin mint patties or similar volume of Junior Mints/York Peppermint Patties
Whisk together coffee and cocoa — carefully, as your cocoa may want to fling itself into the air all willy nilly — in a sauce pan over medium heat. Heat mixture until boiling, whisking frequently to prevent the cocoa from burning. Remove from heat and let cool to or near room temp.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and set aside 10-inch bundt pan.
In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, salt, baking soda, eggs, egg yolk on low for about a minute. (Note: Joy says whisk attachment — I definitely stuck with paddle because I didn’t pay attention and had no problems.) Then, add in oil and buttermilk and mix on low for another minute.
Add flour to bowl and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes (start low so flour doesn’t fly and amp up to medium after a few seconds of incorporation). Pour in cocoa-coffee mixture and mix for another 3 minutes. Remove bowl from stand mixer.
Chop up Thin Mints or Peppermint Patties into pea-sized chunks. You’re going to have to leave the separated on the chopping board or add them immediately into the batter because if they touch each other, they will get stuck. Toss these into bowl.
Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 50 minutes – an hour or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool COMPLETELY in bundt pan before inverting it.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Microwave cream on high for 1-2 minutes until near boiling temperature (depends on your microwave) or bring to a simmer in a small saucepan. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips/chunks. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk together vigorously, add in pat of butter and peppermint extract. Continue whisking until smooth.
Pour still warm ganache over inverted cake and spread as desired.
Decorate with sprinkles or flowers or with nothing at all. You can leave this baby naked if you want!
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mint Chocolate Truffle Bundt from Food Lust People Love
- Creme de menthe butter bundt from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Double Mint Mountain Bundt Cake from Baking in Pyjamas
- Bundt cake with chocolate glaze and mint frosting from La cocina de Aisha
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake from Making Miracles
- Peppermint Cappuccino Cake from Magnolia Days
- Mini Minty Bundt Cakes from Brunch with Joy
- Candy Cane Bundt from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fudgy Peppermint Bundt from A Day in the LIfe on the Farm
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake from Adventures In All Things Food
- Chocolate bundt cake with peppermint dark chocolate ganache from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Candy Cane Chocolate Bundt Cake from Cassie’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Mint Bundt Cake from Box of Stolen Socks
- Double Chocolate and Mint Cheesecake Bundt Cake from Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Peppermint Mocha Pound Cake Bundt from DessertStalking Blog
- Peppermint Candy Cane Bundt Cake from I love Bundt Cakes
- Candy Cane Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake from Patty’s Cake
- Candy Cane Bundt Cake w/a Chocolate Ganache Drizzle from The Freshman Cook
- Peppermint Whipped Cream Pound Cake with Shaved Mint Chocolate from The Spiced Life
- Peppermint Patty Bundt Cake from Eat, Drink, Be Mighty
- Peppermint Candy Bundt from Tea and Scones
- Mint Tea Mini Bundts from Passion Kneaded
- Candy Cane Cup Bundt Cake from From Gate to Plate
- Orange and Mint Bundt bread from A Kingdom For a Cake