This month’s theme for #BundtBakers was “A Surprise Inside.” With such a wide variety of directions to choose from, I was just about overwhelmed. Instead of going for a filling or a core like I did for the last challenge, I wanted to try an interesting interior design angle, and what else do I associate with surprises? Confetti! What’s the best kind of confetti? Sprinkles of course!
Okay, I promise the logic made more sense in my head when I was coming up with this cake idea. Either way, funfetti is way too typical to be a SURPRISING interior, so I combined it with another interesting cut-away reveal: marbling! By tinting some of the batter with cocoa and layering the two options, I tried to make a zebra-like pattern in the cake’s crumb. It’s more of a marble than a proper zebra, but it is definitely a fun, unexpected swirly pattern.
Confetti Zebra Cake
- 3/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup smashed/chopped hard shell chocolate candies
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 10-cup bundt pan with butter and flour and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar on medium-high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating in fully before adding the next. Pour in vanilla extract and beat to incorporate. In another container, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour a third of this into the main batter, combine, then add about a third of the Greek yogurt. Alternate until all the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt are used up.
Then, split the batter in two by pouring some either into the bowl you used for the dry flour mixture or into a new, clean bowl. Add the cocoa powder (sifted if you want to make it easier on yourself!) and chopped chocolate candies to one bowl. Add the rainbow sprinkles to the other.
The batter will be somewhat thick and quick bread-like, but that’s okay, we can work with it. Spread one batter along the bottom of the pan, then carefully spread the alternate batter on top. Continue alternating between the two batters until you’ve run out.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until it springs back when pushed.
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. The theme for April is “Hidden Surprise” – Bundt cakes with fillings or stuffing. There was no constraint on filling and flavor choices.The only
requirement was that the cake be filled/stuffed inside. Anshie from SpiceRoots was our host for this month.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Almond Crunch Cake – Magnolia Days
- Balsamic Strawberries Bundt Cake – Our Good Life
- Banana Maple Bundt Cake with Chocolate Star – Un Mordisco Un Pecado
- Black and White Surprise Bundt Cake – Patty’s Cake
- Chocolate and Vanilla Polka Dot Bundt – Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Bundt Cake with Oreo Cheesecake Filling – Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Peanut Butter Bundt Cake – Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Citrus Raspberry Bundt – Noshing With The Nolands
- Confetti Zebra Cake – Eat, Drink, Be Mighty
- Cookie Dough Bundt Cake – Liv for Cake
- German Mozarthupf – A Kingdom for a Cake
- Graham Cracker Bundt Cake with Key Lime Cheesecake Swirl – Brooklyn Homemaker
- KitKat Surprise Bundt Cake –Simply Veggies
- Lemon Blueberry Van Halen Bundt – Food Lust People Love
- Orange and Strawberry Jam Bundt Cake – Baking Yummies
- Pear and Blue Cheese Bundt – Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Polka Dot Bundt Cake – Brunch with Joy
- Raspberry Filled Lemon Bundt – A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Real Nutella Bundt Cake – Baking in Pyjamas
- Savory Monkey Bread Stuffed Bundt – Adventures in All Things Food
- Sour Cream Boozy Hazelnut Bundt Cake – Sidewalk Shoes
- Spring Break S’mores Cake – Tea and Scones
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bundt Cake – Basic N Delicious
- Strawberry Twinky Bundt Cake – I Love Bundt Cakes
- Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Pound Cake – Big Rigs ‘n Lil’ Cookies
- Surprise Bundt – Mummy & Cute
- Surprise Filled Chocolate Bundt Cake – Media Ración Doble, Por Favor
- Surprise Inside Carrot Bundt Cake- Making Miracles
- Triple Lemon Bundt Cake – Baking and Creating with Avril
- Tropical Surprise Bundt Cake – Spice Roots